Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hang on tight, Here come the "End Days"!

Was reading my e-mail this morning and I came upon a "free" reading of my Aztec Horoscope. I'm naturally curious and don't mind exploring the paranormal as a means of entertainment, so I opened it.

It seems that the Aztecs, in their frighteningly sophisticated understanding of time, had constructed a calendar that was so accurate, that it rivaled those of the ancient Egyptians, the Romans, the Renaissance thinkers and scientists and actually were able to predict occasions that they could not physically observe, such as the time when our Solar System would pass through the Galactic Plane. It is this last point in time that is a bit bizarre, in as much as the Aztec calendar stops in the year 2012, December 21st to be precise.

What modern scientists have alluded to recently is that the preponderance of catastrophic asteroid/meteor inpacts on this planet seem to have occured when our solar system crossed the Galactic Plane. And with the technology of our skyward scanning telescopes, astronomists have the ability to locate and identify the orbits and proximity of asteroids that are on possible collision paths with our planet.

Naturally, this kind of information spawns thousands of articles citing the potential end of the world and the eradication of Mankind due to an asteroid or meteor strike like those that have previously caused extinctions in the past. And instead of a bearded ascetic parading up and down the sidewalk wearing a sandwich board stating "Repent, The End Is Near", we have the Internet, with its dire and frantic proclamations from cult adherents and pseudoscientists.

To a fault, I am perpetually balanced on the top rail of the fence that separates stark logic from spritualism, the world of the mind from the world of the heart, and cannot seem to find persuasive evidence from either camp with which to make a firm decision as to which side I'll take. The logical side of my mind tells me that yes, there is the chance that we will be wiped off the planet and will no longer hold sway over the ecology of said planet. The spiritual side of my brain tells me to start praying regularly, to get my karma aligned with my shakra or some other such silly sounding thing, and that this is my last opportunity to make as many contributions to the positive portion of my spritual account as I can before tha Big Guy/Gal cashes me out!

I desperately want to believe that the chances of Humanity being "offed" by a seven mile wide hunk of space-rock are cosmically huge and that I have no real need to worry. I would love to believe that sometime in the near future, scientists will be able to construct weapons that will dart through Space to pulverize would-be planet killers. And I also find comfort in the dream that human beings are so damned smart, we'll find a way to hunker down in subterranean caves riddles throughout the Earth to ride out any impacts. Honestly, I've seen humans living in conditions that boggle the mind, and with the resiliency and persistance we possess, humans live and thrive in Arctic, Saharan, and every other biome in between. I sometimes believe we'll outlive the cockroaches.

So, where does that leave me? Still riding that top rail, looking with a gimlet eye at either side of the fence and thinking that this is where my mind is the safest, but my butt may be in mortal peril.

I think I'll go make a pitcher of Margaritas and start digging my fallout shelter in the basement. See you after the impact!



No comments:

Post a Comment